Dummy Mix 543 // Scintii
As we wrap up 2013, we've looked at some of the best albums, best tracks, best EPs, and best mixtapes that the year graced us with. We've also had persons of exquisite taste – Planningtorock, Gilles Peterson, Mary Anne Hobbs, Erol Alkan, and all of us at Dummy – provide us with their personal favourites.
Still, none of this answers what Dummy readers found to be the most interesting, engaging, and enjoyable things to read, listen to, and watch in 2013. As such, we've collected the 10 most popular posts from each section of our site that went onine over the past 12 months. Dive in below!
- Grouper interview: "Nihilism isn't sustainable."
- A$AP Rocky interview: "Fuck hype."
- Waajeed interview: "Nobody wants to be legendary."
- Matthew Herbert interview: "It's about wanting to bear witness."
- Disclosure interview: "We've always written pop songs."
- Kelela interview: "It's both familiar and twisted."
- Mykki Blanco interview: "I'm basically just doing glam rock."
- The Knife interview: "A new way of thinking."
- Illum Sphere interview: "Money just goes, right?"
- Kwes interview: "I just wanted it to be as free as possible."
Artwork by Louis Labron-Johnson
- Essay: invest in vaporwave futures!, by Adam Harper
- Essay: “Messy” Techno and the Resurgence of Musical Abstraction, by Adam Harper
- Essay: Shades of Ariel Pink, by Adam Harper
- Essay: Meanwhile, in the UK dance underground…, by Adam Harper
- It began with Fela, by Lauren Martin, Auntie Flo, Ghostpoet, Jesse Hackett, JD Twitch and Gilles Peterson
- Technique: Larry Gus – 'Years Not Living', by Selim Bulut
- Comment: Azealia and that word, by Caspar Salmon
- Found Sound: Jon Hopkins
- Comment: How punks learnt to dance, by Steph Kretowicz
- Essay: London's hi-tech noise, by Adam Harper
Photo by Christelle de Castro
- Dummy Mix 181 // Total Freedom
- Dummy Mix 173 // Ikonika
- Dummy Mix 158 // Killawatt
- Dummy Mix 184 // Shit Robot
- Dummy Mix 183 // Rene Hell
- Dummy Mix 152 // Peaking Lights
- Dummy Mix 151 // Jack Savidge
- Dummy Mix 155 // Soosh
- Dummy Mix 150 // No UFO's
- Dummy Mix 164 // Glasgow Spotlight, Vol. 3: David Barbarossa
THE NEW MUSIC
- iamamiwhoami – y (Brodinski remix)
- Kiasmos – Looped
- Chvrches – Lies (Ikonika remix)
- Nils Frahm – Peter (Max Cooper remix)
- Julia Kent – 'Character' [album stream]
- Gatekeeper – Imperatrix
- Blood Orange – 'Cupid Deluxe' [album stream]
- MØ – Waste Of Time (Jungle’s ØH MØ remix)
- High Water – Railroad Song
- Mozart's Sister – Mozart's Sister
- Palmistry – Catch
- Sinjin Hawke & Morri$ – Ferrofluid
- Kanye West – Bound 2
- Oneohtrix Point Never – Still Life (Betamale)
- The Acid – Animal
- Heatsick – Snakes & Ladders
- PINS – Girls Like Us
- James Blake being awesome at Coachella
- Egyptian Hip Hop – Tobago
- On The Record: The Haxan Cloak
THE ALBUM REVIEWS
- Dean Blunt – 'The Redeemer, by Aimee Cliff
- Airhead – 'For Years', by Selim Bulut
- Glasser – 'Interiors', by Aimee Cliff
- Vondelpark – 'Seabed', by Aimee Cliff
- FKA twigs – 'EP2', by Robert Darnell
- Salva – 'Odd Furniture' EP, by Selim Bulut
- Tirzah – 'I'm Not Dancing' EP, by Anthony Walker
- Lapalux – 'Nostalchic', by Robert Darnell
- Various Artists – 'Saint Heron', by Aimee Cliff
- AlunaGeorge – 'Body Music', by Steph Kretowicz
THE SONG REVIEWS
- Skrillex – Leaving, by Selim Bulut
- James Blake – Retrograde, by Aimee Cliff
- Autre Ne Vent – Ego Free Sex Free, by Ruth Saxelby
- Jai Paul – Track 7, by Ruth Saxelby
- Justin Timberlake – Mirrors, by Anthony Walker
- Mount Kimbie – Made To Stray, by Ruth Saxelby
- The Knife – Full Of Fire, by Anthony Walker
- Shlohmo – Bo Peep (Do U Right) feat. Jeremih, by Ruth Saxelby
- James Blake – Take A Fall For Me feat. RZA, by Robert Darnell
- Shlohmo – Later, by Selim Bulut
- The 10 best deep house tracks, according to Ron Trent
- 10 videos that actually pushed feminism forward in 2013, by Aimee Cliff
- The 10 best drum’n'bass tracks, according to Goldie
- The 10 best jazz songs, according to FaltyDL
- The 10 best ambient tracks, according to The Orb
- The 10 best trance tracks, according to James Holden
- The 20 best albums of 2013
- The 10 best Detroit house tracks, according Kyle Hall
- Gilles Peterson's 10 favourite tracks of 2013
- The 20 best tracks of 2013
…and we're out. Here's to a wonderful 2014!