All Watched Over By Machines Of Loving Grace is TV documentary about how a few lonely people in the recent past imagined that machines could and should control us, and the dreadful consequences of such thoughts. Made by the famous Adam Curtis, it mixes music and archive footage in remarkable ways, and these are just a few of them.
- The Pixies’ Monkey Gone To Heaven rings out as Ayn Rand fidgets.
- Suzanne by Leonard Cohen playing as Monica Lewinsky hugs Bill Clinton.
- Burial’s Forgive played as Adam tells of the death of a chimp faeces collector in the Congo.
- To footage of Enos The Chimp becoming the first primate in space, Roy Orbison’s In Dreams.
- A searingly unpleasant violin note as Adam narrates gene theory over 1950s footage of Heinz baby food.
- Solomon Burke’s Let Me Wrap My Arms Around You played over images of the Congolese dictator Joseph-Désiré Mobutu’s victims.