The Clash’s London Calling, a deeply ambivalent song about the nightmarish descent of the English capital into an apocalyptic wasteland populated by zombies and murderous policemen has, deliciously, been chosen to soundtrack the games when they roll into town next year, according to reports. Here’s seven lyrics we don’t expect to hear ringing out.
- London calling, see we ain’t got no swing / ‘Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing
- The ice age is coming, the sun’s zooming in / Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
- ‘Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
- London calling to the zombies of death
- London calling to the faraway towns / Now war is declared, and battle come down
- London calling, see we ain’t got no high / Except for that one with the yellowy eyes
- London calling to the imitation zone / Forget it, brother, you can go it alone