The 10 best Arthur Russell covers As Laurel Halo, Hot Chip and Robyn announce an Arthur Russell tribute album, we count down the ten best covers of songs by the magnificent 80s cellist and singer.
AIDS charity Red Hot in association with Pitchfork announced news of a new joint covers compilation album in honour of the late Arthur Russell. The American based singer, cellist, composer Arthur Russell covered a multitude of genres in his work, from disco to folk to post classical. He was a truly unique talent and an inspiration for many modern day artists, but it was only since Russell’s tragic death in 1992, that his magnificence has been more globally recognised.
Already confirmed to be involved are great artists such as Laurel Halo, Cut Copy, Twin Shadow, Hot Chip, Devendhra Barnhart, Robyn, Washed Out and many others. In anticipation of the album entitled ‘This is How We Walk on the Moon’ here are 10 Arthur Russell covers which are well worth checking out:
- Jens Lekman- A Little Lost
- Vera November – Our Last Night Together
- Ólöf Arnalds – Close My Eyes
- Dajae – Is It All Over My Face [Green Velvets Imagine The Vocals Mix]
- Nat Baldwin – A Little Lost
- Planningtorock- Janine
- Holiday Shores – Your Motion Says
- Tracey Thorn – Get Around To It
- JD Twitch – Is It All Over The Place
- White Hinterland – Lucky cloud